Tipton’s O’Higgins has Geriatrics in a spin
- Credit: Archant
Tipton met Exeter-based Geriatrics and beat them thanks to a vintage spell of spin bowling by veteran David O’Higgins who took 6-21.
The first wicket was rather fortunate when Jones attempting to repeat a boundary shot trod on his wicket!
Two stumpings by Dave Dawson and a good catch by Alex Tubbs together with a leg before decision meant he had taken the first five wickets to fall. Phil Wright chipped in with a brace before O’Higgins took another to help dismiss the visitors for 102.
After a shaky start in which they slipped to 15-2. Phil Essex and Phil Tolley took the score to 68 when Essex was caught for 28, but Tolley, with 58 not out and Chris Tubbs took Tipton to victory.
The following day neighbours Newton Poppleford were entertained. Tipton batted first and took the score to 41 without mishap, but then lost wickets frequently. Only Steve Walker with 31 and Ollie Coates with 26 were able to post a good score as Tipton was dismissed for 119 with Alex Raisterick with 4-9 and Isaac Thomas 3-28 claiming the wickets.
You may also want to watch:
Tipton defended the small total well with Ollie Coates taking 1-9 and Steve Shaw 3-18 and David Birch 1-15 off their allotted eight overs. However, Kenny Clay and Isaac Thomas both scored 32 enabling Newton Poppleford to edge to victory with three wickets and four overs to spare.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend