Tipton’s season ends in seven wicket defeat to Heads & Tails
- Credit: Archant
Tipton’s 34th and final match of the season ended, as did 20 other matches played during the 2018 season, in defeat, writes Phil Wright.
During the campaign, just 11 victories were achieved, but despite this and a struggle to field a side each week, players nevertheless enjoyed the often hot summer.
Against visitors Heads & Tails, Tipton batted first and got off to a brisk start thanks to Roger Hunt, who helped Phil Tolley put on 37 in just four overs, but a change of bowler saw Hunt bowled by Alistair Dunnett for 19. A more sedate partnership with Chris Tubbs saw Tolley advance to 47 before he chipped a slower ball back to Tom Fowles. Tubbs eventually lost patience and he hit out at Peter Cobbold and was caught at mid-off for 17.
A good partnership between Dave Jessop (29) and Keith Collins (23) helped the score to 140, but Tipton closed on 159-8 so were relying on a good bowling display.
David Birch provided this at the start of the visitors’ innings, grabbing two early wickets as Heads & Tails slumped to 3-2. This only brought in Alistair Dunnett, who dominated the rest of the match. Birch did bowl Salter for a 32 ball seven with the score at 43, but Tipton failed to take another wicket.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Whaling joined Dunnett and the pair showed no mercy on the Tipton bowling. The century partnership was reached in 12 overs as fielders combed the undergrowth for lost balls. Only Birch with 3-21 off seven overs got off lightly.
Heads & Tails romped to victory by seven wickets, leaving Dunnett on 93 and Whaling 45.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution