Tipton St John all set to deliver a ‘scary’ run
Saturday, November 1, sees a return of a favourite local running event, writes Joe Earlam.
It’s the day of the Tipton St John annual bonfire and fancy dress fete and included this year is the new ‘Halloween Hurtle’ event - a five-mile race.
This out and back multi-terrain route to the hamlet of Venn Ottery will be marked with the usual tape and arrows plus some ‘scary’ accessories.
The race gets underway at 5pm, as it gets dark, so head torches must be carried, and something fluorescent worn. Fancy dress is optional, but if you enter into the spirit and don a costume, you could win a prize for best-dressed man or woman. There are prizes for first, second and third men and women plus mementoes for all who take part.
The minimum age for the run is 15, but on the field there’ll be the usual events for all – fancy dress and carved pumpkin judging, along with ghoulish games, pumpkin skittles, refreshments and the lighting of the bonfire. Thanks to Tipton Pre-School for their help with this.
You may also want to watch:
Events get underway from 3.30pm, when you can also set out on a on the one-mile marked ‘scary’ walk – no age restriction.
The run is organised in conjunction with Sidmouth Running Club and Ironbridge Runner, Exeter, who can hire or sell head torches.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 East Devon author launches satirical book
Go to http://www.ironbridgerunnerevents.co.uk
Advance fees are £8 for ARC or EA affiliated club members, £10 for non-affiliated runners. All entries are £2 extra on the day, space permitting. You can enter online https://register.canbook.me/halloweenhurtle or forms are available to download from the playing field website www.tiptonpfa.wordpress.com
As ever, putting this event on will require lots of marshals and helpers on the afternoon – please do lend a hand if you can. It’s a fundraising event for the field, the pre-school and a fun event for the community.
For more information email email@example.com or call 01404 813313.