Tipton St John all set to deliver a ‘scary’ run
Saturday, November 1, sees a return of a favourite local running event, writes Joe Earlam.
It’s the day of the Tipton St John annual bonfire and fancy dress fete and included this year is the new ‘Halloween Hurtle’ event - a five-mile race.
This out and back multi-terrain route to the hamlet of Venn Ottery will be marked with the usual tape and arrows plus some ‘scary’ accessories.
The race gets underway at 5pm, as it gets dark, so head torches must be carried, and something fluorescent worn. Fancy dress is optional, but if you enter into the spirit and don a costume, you could win a prize for best-dressed man or woman. There are prizes for first, second and third men and women plus mementoes for all who take part.
The minimum age for the run is 15, but on the field there’ll be the usual events for all – fancy dress and carved pumpkin judging, along with ghoulish games, pumpkin skittles, refreshments and the lighting of the bonfire. Thanks to Tipton Pre-School for their help with this.
You may also want to watch:
Events get underway from 3.30pm, when you can also set out on a on the one-mile marked ‘scary’ walk – no age restriction.
The run is organised in conjunction with Sidmouth Running Club and Ironbridge Runner, Exeter, who can hire or sell head torches.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
Go to http://www.ironbridgerunnerevents.co.uk
Advance fees are £8 for ARC or EA affiliated club members, £10 for non-affiliated runners. All entries are £2 extra on the day, space permitting. You can enter online https://register.canbook.me/halloweenhurtle or forms are available to download from the playing field website www.tiptonpfa.wordpress.com
As ever, putting this event on will require lots of marshals and helpers on the afternoon – please do lend a hand if you can. It’s a fundraising event for the field, the pre-school and a fun event for the community.
For more information email email@example.com or call 01404 813313.