Tipton St John defeat Welsh touring side then lose at Broadclyst
- Credit: Archant
Tipton had mixed results over the weekend with a win over Welsh tourists Peterson Super Ely followed by a heavy defeat at Broadclyst.
The runs were shared amongst the Tipton batsmen on Saturday as they posted 204-5 with contributions coming from Steve Shaw with 53 not out, supported by 42 from Phil Tolley and 37 from captain Steve Walker.
Accurate bowling by Walker and David O’Higgins checked the reply and O’Higgins was rewarded when Jem Gillham took a good catch secure the first wicket.
Walker bowled Smart for 33 between three wickets for Phil Wright before Chris Mason took over with 3-24. Wickets for Chris Tubbs and Gillham effected the coup de grâce enabling Tipton to win by 37 runs
On Sunday Tipton thought they had Broadclyst’s innings under control at first following some good bowling by Paul Williamson and good catches taken by Justin Quick and Adam Gibbins. However, the lower order batsmen took the initiative allowing the home side to set a target of 184. Williamson took 3-31 and David Birch 3-29.
You may also want to watch:
Tipton openers Phil Tolley and Keith Collins were subjected to a fierce opening salvo from Edmond and Nichols.
Both bowled well on fast on a pitch that saw some balls lift and gave the batsmen a torrid time.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
Tolley was caught behind for seven and Collins after battling for 18 overs was out LBW for 10. Justin Quick batted well for 45 minutes until he was caught for 16. Only Adam Gibbins was able to give significant resistance with 39 not out as Tipton were dismissed for 105.