??Tipton St John end season on a
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John’s last game of the season ended in a narrow defeat by 16 runs to Crewkerne, writes Phil Wright.
The visitors batted first and opener Sam Rowswell, who scored 135, dominated their innings.
Only two other batsmen made double figures, but were able to take the score to 184-3 before the Tipton bowlers made inroads.
Starring with the ball was Kevin McMeeking, who took 5-34, supported by Dave Alford with 3-42.
However, it was Alex Tubbs, with 1-22 early on in the innings, who helped keep the score down.
You may also want to watch:
What was pleasing, was the excellent fielding and eight great catches taken. Crewkerne were all out for 196 with the final seven wickets falling for just 12 runs.
In recent matches, Tipton batting has been poor, but on this occasion contributions from most of their order meant they made a better fist of their reply. They did come up short, but David Thayre (42) and Alex Tubbs (59 not out) meant the result was in doubt until the last few overs.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
The match ended in drizzle, but despite the defeat, it could not dampen the spirits of the team in what was a difficult, but enjoyable season, during which we had 41 fixtures of which nine were won, 19 were lost and 13 were cancelled.