Tipton St John get no breaks in 3-0 defeat to Witheridge Reserves

Generic picture

Generic picture - Credit: Archant

Witheridge Reserves 3, Tipton St John 0 After their worst performance of the Season last week Tipton had a difficult away trip to high flying Witheridge, and although they ended up losing they more than matched their opponents in all aspects of the game except scoring, writes Richard Williams.

They had an unfortunate start when a kicked clearance by keeper Jack Walker hit one of his own players and bounced kindly to a Witheridge player for a tap in after just three minutes.

James Callard had Tipton’s opening chance after eight minutes, but hit his shot high and wide.

Two minutes later Tipton were continuing to press when Witheridge broke away quickly to double their lead with a close range shot.

Tipton were unlucky not to pull a goal back three minutes later when Hadyn Banfield made a fine run with the ball before passing it to Callard who hit a cracking shot which was very well saved by the Witheridge keeper diving full length and low to his right.

You may also want to watch:

Tipton again went close when Banfield put in a fine cross from the left which Jake Freeman got his head to, only to see the ball go inches wide of the post.

Freeman again went close on 28 minutes when he hit a good shot from the edge of the penalty area, but it was comfortably saved by the keeper.

Most Read

Tipton started the second half in positive fashion and within a minute Callard made a fine run into the area with the ball before shooting just wide into the side netting.

Two minutes later Banfield again sent in a great cross from the left which Callard got his head to, only for the keeper to save it on the line.

Within a minute Callard was again close when he had a shot blocked away for a corner.

Just before the hour-mark a free-kick fell to Sam Baker who volleyed the ball wide and just out of reach of the onrushing Kev Sexton.

Tipton continued to dominate and Banfield had a shot on 68 minutes which again went just wide after a fine move.

Witheridge finally had their first effort of the half on 70 minutes with a long range shot which was wide.

Ten minutes from time and totally against the run of play Tipton conceded a silly third goal following a scramble when the ball should have been cleared!

Straight from the restart Callard had a close range shot saved. He had another shot saved five minutes later and a minute after that Sam Baker went close with a header from a corner.

Tipton continued to attack and in the last two minutes Callard and Adrian Small both had efforts which were too high.

Tipton can genuinely consider themselves unlucky not to have got something from the Game and showed real grit after last weeks debacle.

The Man of the Match for Tipton was skipper Neil Gooding who had a fine game in central defence, but was also instrumental in some fine surging runs from the back to create chances for his forwards.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus