Tipton St John put Otters to the sword in derby meeting
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John have banked four points from their opening two Macron Devon and Exeter league matches with a 2-2 draw at Clyst Valley on the opening day followed swiftly by a 3-1 derby win at Ottery St Mary in midweek.
The game at Clyst Valley saw the Tipton goals scored by Ash Baker and Glenn Salter.
Then, in a midweek evening game at the home of rivals Ottery St Mary, goals from Ashley Small, Sam Baker and Lewis Matthews secured the three points.
Tipton coach Dale Strawbridge said: “The game at Clyst Valley was one of those ‘game of two halves’ so, on reflection the draw was probably a fair outcome.”
It was a very different story in midweek however.
You may also want to watch:
The Tipton coach said: “We were actually disappointed not to win by a greater margin. We played, to a man, exceptionally well and had it not been for their goalkeeper I do think we’d have scored many more goals. From our point of view, it was all very encouraging.”
On Saturday (September 2), Tipton travel to Winkleigh for a Bill Slee Cup tie.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 10 Property of the Week: Glebelands
Strawbridge says: “It’s something of a trip into the unknown for us as we have not played them [Winkleigh] for a few seasons.
“We are keen to do well in all competitions this year and, after a decent start to the league campaign, can travel to North Devon with confidence that we will be able to get a good result and make progress in the competition.”