Tipton St John ready for opening day test at East Budleigh
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John held their final training session on Wednesday night prior to launching their Fresha League Division One campaign at East Budleigh tomorrow (Saturday).
Dave Strawbridge has a busy first week of the new season as his team also make the short trip to Sidbury United for a local derby next Wednesday (August 28) before playing their first home game a week tomorrow (August 31) with the visit of Alphington.
Strawbridge is confident about the new season, which he hopes will be a lot better than the last campaign.
He said: “We disappointed last year, but many things went against us. I am looking at this season as being the start of the re-building process at the club. This pre-season there’s been an extra yard in the players it seems and there’s a confidence around the club that wasn’t there last term. We have kept the bulk of last years squad but added two or three and I believe that will make us both stronger and more competitive. We also have a number of promising youngsters who have had a year’s experience and they will be better for that. I think one or two of the younger lads will make names for themselves this season.”
Neil Gooding will skipper the side this year.
You may also want to watch:
Strawbridge also revealed just why the pre-season build-up has gone so well.
The Tipton boss said: “We have had Chris Webster running the sessions and he has been a breath of fresh air. He has certainly given us some great ideas that I am looking forward to being put into practice this season.”
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
He continued: “We have played some very good opposition in the pre-season period and done well against the likes of Beer Albion and Seaton Town, neither of whom gave us a run around and that’s all good for the confidence.”