Tipton St John suffer record defeat in thrashing by Kenn
- Credit: Archant
There were mixed fortunes for Tipton St John in matches against Kenn and Yarcombe & Stockland, writes Phil Wright.
On Saturday, in a one-sided game, Tipton were blown away by Kenn who scored a whopping 300-3 in their 40 overs!
This was the most runs that Tipton have conceded in their history!
An opening partnership of 184 by Pat Boot (97) and Ed Bragg (135) in 27 overs did the damage with a further 90 being added in the last 10 overs much to the angst of Tipton bowlers. David O’Higgins did get two wickets at a cost of 51 runs.
Tipton were clearly outplayed by the league side and were then dismissed for 77 and losing by another club record of 223 runs. Only Dave Dawson (21) and Adam Gibbins (23) reached double figures.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday Tipton hosted Yarcombe & Stockland in a match sponsored by Cambridge Futons.
Thankfully, the teams were better matched. Phil Tolley and Michael Dawson put on 96 for the first wicket before Dawson was bowled by Ollie Fuller for 36. Tipton then lost three quick wickets before Alex Tubbs joined Tolley. Tubbs was stumped by Stan Fuller off Peter Barker for 20 before Jem Gillham stayed to keep Tolley company. Tolley fell 4 runs short of his century when caught by Harry Jobson off Barker then Gillham was bowled by Martin Notley for a lengthy duck! Tipton’s innings closed on 178-9.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 8 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
Yarcombe & Stockland took their reply to 40 when David O’Higgins bowled Ben Fuzzard for 25. James Mitcham profited from any loose balls and had reached 50 before he was well caught by Michael Dawson off the bowling of Tipton debutant Dave Thayre.
Although Phil Wright bowled Stan Fuller for seven, the visitors were in command on 126-3 only needing a further 52 off 15 overs when the rain arrived forcing the game to be abandoned.