Titherington Trophy won by Sidmouth seniors
The Titherington Trophy was completed at Sidmouth last weekend, writes George Carr.
Played over two legs in spring and autumn to celebrate the life of club member Ken Titherington, taken from us in his prime as a husband, father and golfer some 17 years ago, the trophy’s destiny this year was to be decided by Saturday’s match - the first leg in the spring being rained off.
It was to prove by no means a close-run thing between club president Trevor Kerridge’s Emmerton Court senior side and Colin Macklin’s seemingly strong B team selection - victors last year.
Somewhat surprisingly then, the senior side were comfortable winners on the day - you might say extremely comfortable since only the formidable pairing of Simon Knowles and Steve Milton were B team winners on the day.
However, this poignant and singular event, played, as it usually is, on the eve of Remembrance Day, serves to remind us all that though golf itself is just a game - perhaps even an indulgence - it is one that brings us together at such times as this in tribute, good companionship and friendly competition.
You may also want to watch:
A traditional silence, graciously proposed by Colin Macklin, was observed after the teams had enjoyed another of Kerry’s scrumptious dinners.
Colin’s speech, amusing as it always is, could not spare him from the pain handing over the much-prized Titherington Trophy to his rival captain Trevor Kerridge for another year - battle will recommence in the spring!
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 8 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout