Todd shines with superb performance at Taunton Deane
- Credit: Archant
Last weekend was a big one for the N1 Tri Club with members racing all over the South West.
In the Marazion triathlon in Cornwall cold sea temperatures meant no swim but the run/ bike/ run event saw Tom Bland coming an excellent fifth place overall and it could have been even better if leg cramps had not struck.
Jane Beech, Anne and Jim Ephraums were racing at Roadford Lake and all did extremely well backing up their pre season form. Jane Beech managed fouth place woman - a fine effort.
Over at Taunton Deane a large group of club supporters were entertained by a highly well organised event. Marie Hodson in her first ever race managed fifth place in her category in the novice event.
Vanessa Glynn Jones recorded the clubs first podium of the season with first place in her category. Well done Vanessa. Jim Mckechnie was intent on beating his brother in the race and just failed but enjoyed his first outing of the season. Dave Welsh as usual enjoyed the whole affair with work to do on his swim leg.
You may also want to watch:
The star turn however, was by Alex Todd. In his first ever triathlon race he came 11th overall of 350 competitors. He was seventh in his race category and all this despite not being a competent swimmer less than six months ago.
Todd has made huge progress in this area of the sport but he is still giving away minutes to the podium contenders. As soon as he makes up this shortfall then be afraid!
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
After 400 metres of swimming and 22 km of cycling Todd stormed the run section covering the 5km distance in the fastest time of the day at 18:01!
His overall time for the race was one hour six minutes and forty three seconds.
This week the club will be starting its sea swims on Friday evenings at Sidmouth. If the sport of triathlon attracts you this could be a good time to come along and meet members and learn more about the club. (Please bear in mind that the club swim session is for members only due to safety rules).