Tolley strokes unbeaten half century as Tipton defeat Marldon
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John’s prolific batsman Phil Tolley hit another unbeaten half century to guide the side to victory over visiting Marldon.
Marldon batted first on a soft wicket that allowed lateral movement, which had several batsmen in trouble during the afternoon.
They got off to a flying start with 29 off the first five overs, but then David Alford tempted Harry Ward with a full toss which he spooned to David Thayre. David Birch then found his line with four successive maidens during which time he also bagged the wicket of Sam Woodcock.
David O’Higgins got in the act with a fine eight over spell in which he conceded just two boundaries and took 3-25 in the process.
This also included a rare catch by Mark Channon in the gulley. From 30-0 Marldon slumped to 75-9, Mark Channon was his miserly self, bowling eight overs and returning figures of 3-10 including a superb leg side catch from keeper Dickie Dawson to remove Nick Glanfield.
You may also want to watch:
Only a last wicket stand by Chris Lancaster playing with a broken thumb and guesting player Phil Wright (absent from the Tipton line-up with injured back) took the score to 101.
In the Tipton reply, only Phil Tolley was able to cope with excellent bowing by Sam Woodcock who took four Tipton wickets for 17 runs.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
Tipton initially slumped to 24-3, but first Jem Gillham, and then Dave Alford, provided support for Tolley to help him pass Marldon’s total.
Tolley was dropped just before reaching his half century, but remained unbeaten on 76.
Tipton’s game at Chulmleigh this coming weekend has been cancelled with several players either attending Twickenham or Wembley!