Top class golf in Upper Crust Trophy
The Upper Crust Trophy, kindly sponsored by past club captain Neil Faulkner, was played at Sidmouth Golf Club last Saturday, writes John Rockey.
This was a Two Flag Greensomes Pairs Competition with each pair having the option of holing at the regular hole on each green or gaining a bonus point by holing out at the more difficult hole. These difficult pin placements were on or very close to the tops of slopes, so it was a real risk/reward decision as to which pin to go for.
Unlike last year’s competition when the weather was pretty dreadful, conditions this year were good and the event was played in the dry under mostly cloudy skies, but occasional sunshine.
As a result, scores were better with the ‘little and large’ pairing of Barry Venn and Howard Cushing using their shots well in coming in with 56 points, a score most thought would not be equalled. However, late in the afternoon club president Alec Salway and Brian Leach did just that when they scored 56 points, but lost out on a countback over the final six holes.
In third place was the team of Chris Lewis and Marc Shoobridge with 54 points, just beating off the father/son partnership of Lester and Greg Wilmington who had 53 points.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies’ prize was won by Sheila Thomson and Yvonne Anning with 43 points with Julie Lye and Marie Timms getting second place with 40 points.
At the prizegiving, Neil Faulkner was thanked by the club vice-captain John Rockey on behalf of Sidmouth Golf Club, for his continued sponsorship of the Upper Crust Trophy which has proved a very popular event over the years.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman