Top Guy as Fishbone Trophy is netted by Bennett
- Credit: Archant
Fishing enthusiasts from Sidmouth competed in the annual Black Rod fishing competition.
This is a competition that sees anglers cast with a single hook and one rod and all fish are returned to the seas.
It takes place on the area between the River Sid and Chit Rocks and has a precise time, with anglers casting at 7am and the competition drawing to a close at noon.
This year the winner, with a score of 66 points, was Guy Bennett. The runner-up was Mike Bennett with 50 points and third was Andy Steele.
Across the five hours of the competition there was a mixture of pouting, whiting, dog fish and silver eel caught – all returned from whence they came!
You may also want to watch:
As is tradition at the weigh-in and awards ceremony, the ‘Fishbone Trophy’ was presented by The King of Chit, Gareth Topping, at The Swan Inn.
All involved wish to place on record thanks to Gareth [Topping], who provided a breakfast barbecue on the beach, and to Di Fallows, who fed everyone with sausage rolls.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 7 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 The questions of British Lions selection
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution