Topping so consistent for Sidmouth ladies
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s ladies teams have been in action over the last couple of weeks with varying degrees of success.
First up an evening encounter with visiting Torquay that saw the home side land a significant win.
Debbie Snelgrove and Mary Dean won both their matches convincingly in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1 and 6-2, 6-4.
Viv Bess and Di Kendall-Torry were equally strong in their first rubber coming through 6-3, 6-0, but came up short in a well contested second match in which one of their opponents played a near flawless first set, (1-6).
The home pair showed their class though winning the second set by the same margin (6-1), but were eased out 8-10 in the championship tie-break leaving Sidmouth overall 7-2 winners.
You may also want to watch:
Next were back-to-back matches, first at Exeter Golf and Country Club in what can only be described as ‘hot’ conditions, sadly the standard of tennis didn’t live up to the climactic conditions!
Viv Bess and Di Kendall-Torry took on the second couple in the first rubber and came through relatively easily 6-2, 6-2, but their second rubber proved more challenging and they lost 4-6, 2-6 in the heat.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
Vici Topping and Lesley Cranston were late replacements and somewhat short of practice, but managed to take a point from the first pairing coming back from 2-4 down to win the first set 6-4.
In spite of Topping’s consistent play and effective use of the lob the pair couldn’t maintain their rhythm losing the second set 4-6.
Cranston positively drooped in the championship tie-break going down 5-10.
They made amends in the next rubber with a firm win 6-1, 6-3. Sidmouth sneaked the overall victory 5-4 in points.
The following evening Sidmouth were up against league leaders Victoria Park at home.
Territorial advantage was not sufficient to secure the win with Debbie Snelgrove and Hilary Caldwell narrowly losing both their matches 4-6, 5-7, 5-7, 2-6. Viv Bess and Di Kendall-Torry nearly did it with both matches going all the way.
In the first rubber they managed to hold on to come through in the tie-break 1-6, 6-3, 11-9, sadly, the second was the reverse 3-6, 6-3, 11-13. Well contested games but a loss of 3-7 means their opponents increase their lead at the top.
For more information on all things Sidmouth tennis visit www.sidmouthtennisclub.co.uk