Toured in Cornwall

Sidmouth RFC U12s took on the might of Cornwall over this weekend and enjoyed two days of rugby playing against Newquay, Penzance, Bodmin and St Agnes.

Sidmouth U12s took on the might of Cornwall over this weekend and enjoyed two days of rugby playing against Newquay, Penzance, Bodmin and St Agnes.Sidmouth's first game of the weekend started against Newquay, who played hard and fast looking for a quick points and eventually won 14-7.Consistent passing from a successful line out saw the ball go through four pairs of hands before Callum Archibald got the final driving play, scoring in the sixth minute. Bess converted. Newquay came back to level the points at half time. After the break, Sid gave away an early penalty, but good tackling from Sam Turner halted the attack, though he had to leave the game injured. With no subs available to back fill Sid's struggled for the remainder of the match and allowed Newquay to score in the ninth minute. Sidmouth had to start one man down against Penzance but a thrilling game saw them go down 19-14. Penzance made early ground with a drop kick into touch five yards out from the Sid line. Good defensive play from forwards Connor Fry, Sam Dix and James Thomas turned over the ball for Powell to pass to Rattue and Amos on the wing. Amos went to ground so Turner took up the reins. Driving forward he released to Bess who found space in the Pirates' line to score. Powell converted. Penzance fought back, but multiple tackles by Lewis Horne and James Maskill protected the Sid lead. Horne went off injured and. as play restarted, a seriously depleted Sid let through a Penzance try early on. With Sid players Fry and James Thomas leaving the game, scrappy play lead to the Pirates scoring another two tries before the final whistle.On Sunday, a bleary-eyed Sidmouth squad (including three bleary-eyed coaches Russ Bess, Pete Thomas and Graham Denner) visited Bodmin RFC.They wasted no time on the pitch, though and recorded a 35-0 win over Bodmin.The first minutes saw both squads testing each other's defence. From a line-out the ball flowed beautifully down the line for Horne on the wing to score a try in the fifth minute. Powell converted. With the game restarting, Powell drop-kicked for distance, as Bodmin caught and responded an interception by Turner led to a sprinting try and conversion. Jamie Briggs caught the ball, going like a train to find the try line before the half time whistle. In the second half, Rabbie Hansford scored and, in a last ditch attack, Bodmin won the line out and a turn over gave Maskill the opportunity for a pitch-long sprint to score.Sidmouth went on to beat St Agnes 54- 0. A knock on after a line out let Sid win the scrum and saw Callum Archibald score early on. Further first half tries were scored by Archibald, Thomas, Bess 2,. Archibald completed his hat-trick in the second half, followed in quick succession by Amos who sprinted clear and Hansford to drive through the St Agnes line and score.Thanks go to Lynne Rattue and Mandy Thomas for organising the trip, plus the many sponsors who made it possible. Sponsors: G J Bess & Sons Ltd, Total F X Hair & Beauty, Aims Accountants, M Rattue Plumbing, Ridgeway Residential Home, N Collins Builders, East Devon Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Clinic Ltd, Sweet Temptations, Graham Denner Kitchens, Burwood Lighting,, West Countries Landscapes, Select Denture

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus