Town into Morrison Bell Cup final with Upottery win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town booked a place in the Morrison Bell Cup final for the second successive season thanks to a 2-1 success over Macron League Premier Division Upottery.
Town began well and dominated the first 20 minutes as quite clearly the visitors seemed to suffer a little stage fright, which was made even worse when on the 25th minute a terrific Tyler Wellman corner was bundled into the net by Dexter Booth.
However, that seemed to be the signal for Town, inexplicitly, to take their foot off the throttle which gave Upottery a way back into the contest, and only a couple of terrific save from Sidmouth’s keeper Dec Lines ensured that the Vikings went into half-time with a narrow lead.
It was the Macron League side who made the brighter start to the second half. For their part, Town, with an air of complacency, chased shadows for a while until the 65th minute when Cameron Vere raced clear, but, with the goal at his mercy, somehow shot straight at the relieved keeper.
The game became one of end-to-end action, but the decisive second Vikings goal did not arrive until the 85th minute when the vastly experienced Shaun Densham was hauled down in the area and Ben Farrington drilled the resultant spot kick into the bottom corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Upottery, to their credit, gave a good account of themselves and deserved their late consolation.
Sidmouth From: Lines, Pointing, Newbery, Booth, Wellman, Farrington (C), Gould, Holding, Swingler, Vere, Antat. Used Subs: Densham, Binion and Small. Unused: Burrows and Skilton.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Star man – Dec Lines