Truman stars as Sidmouth Town Under-14s defeat Cully
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Under-14s bounced back from the previous weekends defeat to claim a deserved 2-0 success over Cullompton Rangers.
Injury to captain James Emmett forced him to take over the goalkeeping duties while James Ogley slotted in for his debut at centre back. The change was seamless and soon Ogley and fellow centre back Ollie Truman had the opposition forwards exactly where they wanted them, nullifying most of the attacks!
When Cully did break through Emmett showed his versatility with some excellent decision making and some smart saves. Although Sidmouth’s central midfield axis of Tom Moore, Matt Salter and Ben Goodier had good control of the middle third the Vikings were unable to threaten the Mid Devon side goal and half-time arrived with the game still seeking its first goal.
After a few minor tactical adjustments Sidmouth started the second half in dominant form and started to create a number of chances. Moore had a free-kick saved and Louis Adey contrived to miss when it seemed easier to score!
However, the pressure eventually told on the hour mark when pressure from Jack Miller forced an own goal to finally break the deadlock.
You may also want to watch:
A few minutes later Ben Goodier swivelled, checked, took three opposition players out of the game before rifling a shot into the top right hand corner of the Cully net.
This was no more than Sidmouth deserved after such a dominant performance.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Special mention should go to the outstanding Emmett in goal, the tireless Matt Salter in midfield and Man of the Match Ollie Truman for his superb display at centre back.