Turton double as Town fourths pick off Cherries

Sidmouth at home to Seaton. Ref shsp 06 18TI 7092. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth at home to Seaton. Ref shsp 06 18TI 7092. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Town fourth team returned to the top of the Macron League Division Eight table with a 4-3 nail-biting victory over Cheriton Fitzpaine at Byes Lane, Sidford.

It was certainly a contest that kept the Town management on the edge right through to the full-time whistle.

The Cherries, beaten, 2-1 by the young Vikings when the teams met in Mid Devon in the first league meeting this season, clearly pitched up at Byes Lane looking to exact some sort of revenge for that earlier reversal.

However, in the early exchanges, the Town side looked full of confidence with players clearly getting back to their best form and looking to make positions in the team their own.

Matt Colson, making his debut in the Town fourth team, slotted well into the defence which also included the excellent Dan Corick, Adam Jago and Matt Jones, the latter landing the Man of the Match award for his superb shift at left back. Indeed, such was the control that the Town back line held in the first half that Town glovesman Robert Gluchowski did not have a save to make before the break!

You may also want to watch:

It was Division Eight top scorer Oliver Turton who led the Cherries defence a merry dance and he got great support from the two strikers, Louis Adey and Matthew Rassmussen while Jack Miller on the right wing and his brother Ben [Miller], together with Darren Thomas, ran the midfield with a show of real maturity.

Such was the Town influence on the first half that they really ought to have had the game totally sewn up by half-time.

Most Read

However, Town scored just the two first half goals; the first, a 21st goal of the campaign for the outstanding Turton and he struck again with his 22nd to leave Town ahead at the break.

The interval dressing room chat was all about the need to not let the Cherries back into the match.

However, early in the second half the Mid Devon side did indeed get a goal back, but the Town response was excellent, and a second goal in as many starts for Rasmussen, swiftly restored the two goal lead. Louis Adey then rifled home a fourth Town to put them into the driving seat once more.

Cheriton rallied and, aided by a couple of lapses in concentration in the Town back line, scored twice to set up a nervy ending for the home supporters.

However, that was as good as it got for the visitors as Town closed the game out well to secure a deserved victory.

The win also means that the Town fourths have scored in ever game they have played in this season and their campaign goal count stands at 57 from 17 league and cup games.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus