Turton nets four as Town fourths win well at Tiverton

Football on pitch

Football on pitch - Credit: Getty Images/Image Source

Sidmouth Town 4ths bounced back from their defeat seven days before, scoring four times in the final 20 minutes of their match with hosts Amory Amateurs, to defeat the Tiverton side 5-2 and continue to lead the way at the top of the Macron League Division Eight table.

Team manager Tony West lost a couple of players on the morning of the match and so was forced to change his team at the last minute and put himself on the bench – the latter to much hilarity from his players!

After being reminded of the poor performance the week before and having it pressed

home that you have to work hard top get just rewards from all outings, the young Vikings, despite faced with a poor surface at Tiverton, made a bright start and took a fifth minute lead with a goal from Ollie Turton. However, that was as good as it got for the Vikings in the first half as they struggled on the heavy, uneven surface.

A goal from a rare counter-attack saw the hosts also score in the first half and the break arrived with the score 1-1.

You may also want to watch:

After a half-time team talk that focussed on the need for the team to take their chances they were again quickly into their stride. However, despite carving out numerous opportunities, the elusive second Town goal, was not forthcoming.

With 20 minutes to go the deadlock was finally broken. It came after a period in which Jake Sellick Reuben Raffell and skipper Matt Skelding had taken near full control of the middle third of the pitch and, with Luke Spillar and Jordan Parsons both playing well on the wing and Jack Miller imposing himself on the contest, it was no more than Town deserved when Turton doubled his tally for the game.

Most Read

The sense of relief amongst the Town players following the second goal was clear for all to see. The back line of Adam Jago Oliver Newton Ben Main and Matt Jones shut out any attempt of a home comeback while goalkeeper Callum Wilkes showed confident handling.

Turton scored twice more with two more clinical finishes before Spillar scored his first fort the club.

Amory Green Rovers had the final say with a second, but that was not enough to stop the Town youngsters sealing another terrific result.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus