U10s to play at St James’ Park

Sidmouth U16s Match Report

Cullompton 2 Sidmouth 1 (League)

The boys lost out to a late goal in a tight, scrappy match. Sidmouth struggled to get any flow or pattern to their game and did well to stay in contention for so long, writes Richard Seldon.

The squad was boosted by the return of Lee Clayden and Will Eveleigh, injecting strength and spirit into proceedings. Clayden fitted into the left-back slot like he’d never been away, and shared the Man of the Match honours with Will Sanders, who once again was a real threat to the Cully defence, utilising his pace and determination and adding another goal to take him clear in the ‘Top Scorer’ charts.

Cully dominated the first half, and edged ahead on 30 minutes as a pass behind the defence saw the striker make up his mind earlier than Sidmouth’s keeper and nip in to finish well from 6 yards out.

You may also want to watch:

A change in formation in the second half saw Sidmouth come more into the game. Conor Ellis was creating inroads and a series of well-taken corners were begging for a decisive call and header to bury the chance. Another lesson for the boys in attacking set-pieces, that can make all the difference in tight games.

Sanders did conjure up an equaliser on the hour, as his determination took him clear on the left. His speculative shot caught the Cully keeper off-guard and he could only parry the ball into the net.

Most Read

It looked like Sidmouth were going to earn the draw that would keep them in the top three of the league, but they were caught late on when a succession of half-clearances led to a free-kick 25 yards out. The Cully midfielder slammed in a superb strike, which hit the bar and bounced down onto the line;- once again, Cully reacted quickest to follow up and convert the chance and deservedly claim the win.

Sidmouth U12 Warriors 3, Brixington B 2

Sidmouth Warriors U12s started poorly but finished strongly against Brixington Blues at home in an important league match.

The Warriors, on a run of five games unbeaten but having had a month without a game, started slowly . Sloppy passing, half hearted tackling and poor finishing gave Brixington the upper hand and they took the lead and made it 2-0 by half time. A fine save by Sinker stopped the situation becoming any worse.

It all changed after half time and every 50/50 ball was won by Warriors. Ten minutes in Mead scored and his goal lifted everybody. Buckland levelled and Warriors could sense a dramatic winner. With five minutes left, a great corner from Lowe was powerfully headed home by Cooke.

Brixington tried to get back into the game but the Warriors defence of De Gruchy, Woodruff, Hayman and Jones stood firm. The final whistle blew on a 3-2 Warriors victory and a really great comeback.

Six games unbeaten now, this should set up a classic Cup Quarter Final against Crediton Saints next Saturday (Feb 25).

Team; Leon Sinker, Matt Jones, Tom Woodruff, Kade Hayman, Joe Lowe , Jack Silk, Toby De Gruchy, Elliot Perez, Tom Cooke , Ethan Mead and Joe Buckland.

Sidmouth U10 Sunday team will be facing Feniton in their cup final at St James Park, the home of Exeter City, after beating Perry Street in the semi final.

The U10s team is built around hard work and solid defence and attacking flare. Goalkeeper Jordan fowler and defenders Sam Pyne and Ryan Griffiths were solid in defence and always in total control which allows the midfield trio of Tyler Woods, Thomas Rush and Connor McNamara-Campbell to play attacking free flowing football.

Alex Mitchell's work rate upfront was to much for Perry St and a Mcnamara-Campbell strike was the difference between the two sides at half time.

After the restart, Fowler was called into action but Sidmouth went on to dominate the second half. Wood finished of a good passing move with a poacher’s goal to make it 2-0.

Dylan Lascelles was brought on to man mark Perry Street’s striker and George Salter came on to add extra bite to the midfield.

Campbell pushed up front added another two goals and completed his hat-trick to make it 4-0. Special mention to Jake Jones and Harry Ensall who went about their work solidly and quietly. Thomas rush was fantastic in midfield, tackling, passing and winning the ball back.

Twyford Madrid 3, Sidmouth Warriors U11s 1

Some days things just don't go your way - unfortunately for the U11 Warriors it's most Saturdays at the moment, writes Alex Spalding.

Away at Twyford last weekend, Sidmouth started brightly, controlling possession, confident on the ball. Then an unlucky deflection and a couple of speculative looping long range shots which dipped under the bar and Sidmouth were 3-0 down. So unfair!

The good football had been Sidmouth's, quick on the break, committed in defence. They hit the crossbar, the post, and Toby Garrick forced an excellent save from the Twyford keeper.

It was defensive rock Archie Marchant's last game, and the rest of the team promised him a good performance.

Better than that, the second half was excellent. Superb tackling especially from Archie himself kept Twyford out of the final third.

Sidmouth controlled the game. Eventually, up front, Louis Spalding ran on to a lovely through ball from Jacob Rice to slot the ball home with his left foot. Sidmouth forced several more great saves from the Twyford keeper, who was the difference between the two teams.

West Hill 3, Moors 0

On a wet and windy morning at Sampford Peverell, Wasps beat mid-table Moors 3-0, writes Mark Pugsley.

Will Amos in goal had little to do in a first half dominated by Jonathan Pitcher, Man of the Match Ollie Benson and Ollie Pugsley playing some lovely football up front. The first goal was a cracker. Following a goal mouth scramble, the ball bounced out to Tom Simmons about 15 yards out and he thumped it home into the bottom corner. The second, even better, came after the break when James Horler lashed the ball into the top right hand corner from a similar distance. Euan Webber kept it tight at the back whilst Max Hancock and Ben Marsh controlled the midfield. Ollie Benson got a deserved third goal when he drove in shot from the left side of the penalty area.

West Hill 2 Twyford 2

Wasps kicked uphill into the wind and rain in the first half and soaked up a lot of pressure before falling behind to a goal midway through the half.

Sam Read in goal saved well at his left-hand post. After the break Wasps huffed and puffed but couldn’t find a way through a solid Twyford defence until Ollie Pugsley came off the bench to equalise on his birthday with four minutes to go. The Wasps piled forwards but fell behind to a break-away goal. Somehow Horler found a bit of space just inside the area and he thumped home the equaliser.

Some great performances by Tom Simmons who looked majestic when bringing the ball out from the back and Ben Marsh who won header after header in midfield but MoM went to James Horler for a brilliant midfield performance and a cracking goal at the death.

Sidmouth TJV U13s 4, Pinhoe 2

Sidmouth started strongly with good passing football but couldn't produce a finish for all their good work, writes Paul Newbery.

But eventually Sidmouth forced a succession of corners and Jamie Newbery shot home the opener from one of them. The second goal was a carbon copy. A handball saw Sidmouth gain a penalty and this was dispatched coolly into the bottom corner by Dylan King.

Pinhoe pulled a goal back. Billy Rudolphs pass found Joe Miller who restored Sidmouth’s advantage to go into the halftime break 4-1 up. The second half started as the first with several chances being missed. Sid conceded a second goal and there were a few anxious moments.

Sidmouth were by far the better side, but woeful crossing and finishing kept the scoreline at 4-2.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus