U11s take to beach rugby training
- Credit: Archant
Last Sunday proved to be another match cancelled for the under 11s due to waterlogged grounds, writes Craig Morgan.
All-weather pitches are in high demand at this very wet time of year and as the U11s couldn’t access one the alternatives were minimal.
However, for once, mother nature assisted and a low tide late Sunday morning allowed the U11s, U12s and U14s the chance to tear around on the ebbing tide at Town beach.
A fierce sou’westerly made the kicking game a one-way affair but the lads were keen to roll up their trouser legs and get stuck in.
The ‘Mermen’ captained by Jack ‘Pugwash’ Marchant were pitted against the ‘Barnacle Bills’ captained by Henry ‘Overboard’ Thorne.
You may also want to watch:
Once the flippers and snorkels were stripped away an open game ensued.
Salty seadog Sam Bond swerved and side stepped his way to golden sand glory and Cole ‘The Kipper’ Monaghan combined with Finlay ‘Fish face’ Morgan to bag a couple of beauties.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
Honours were even at the final whistle and thanks to all the lads for turning out for a chilly work out.
Let’s hope for drier conditions soon.
U11 Pictures by Brad Jenkins.