U13s through to Devon Cup semi final
U13s Devon County Cup quarter final
Sidmouth 4 YMCA Kitto Parkway 3 (aet)
Sidmouth played host to YMCA Kitto Parkway in a cracking Devon Cup quarter final, writes Paul Newbery.
Sid started strongly, with a couple of chances from Jack DeWinton and Ed Doble. The Midfield was strong with Tyler Wellman, Joe Miller, Freddie King, and Alex Stone dominating. The link up play was superb between midfield and attack and caused Kitto lots of problems.
Any real threat was dealt with by Alastair Forsyth, Ben Miller, Jamie Newbery and Jonny Surtees. Kitto took the lead against the run of play when a speculative shot sailed over keeper Connor Murphy.
You may also want to watch:
Sid hit back and continued to pass the ball around and eventually won a freekick which King struck superbly to level the scores. Sid had their tails up and a good through ball to Doble, whose good shot was saved but DeWinton followed up to tap in to put Sid in front at the halftime break.
Second half Kitto started the stronger, forcing Sid into defending and, when the ball broke, another long range shot went into the top corner to tie the scores up again. This lifted Kitto and they kept attacking the Sid defence and good link play saw the Kitto striker finish with a good strike to put his side in front.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Sidmouth had to dig deep and came back hard with George Harris and Roel Ruigrok linking well on the left wing at Kitto and, with 10 minutes to go, the impressive Ben Miller struck a great goal to level the scores again.
A few more chances from both sides before the fulltime whistle went and it was extra time. Again in both sides had chances but, in the second period, DeWinton spotted the keeper out of position and, from 35 yards, measured a shot past him to put Sidmouth in front.
Joe Miller, with minutes left, was unlucky not to put Sid further in front when his shot beat the keeper and just went agonisingly wide. Both teams gave their all in a great match with Sidmouth deservedly going through to the semi-final to be played later this month.