U13s were truly entertaining
- Credit: Archant
Ivybridge 22, Sidmouth RFC U13s 14
Sidmouth U13s travelled to Ivybridge to a much needed game after weeks of frustration, writes Chris Woodruff.
Slate grey skies cast a gloomy backdrop on a sandy but playable surface as Sidmouth absorbed intense pressure from Ivybridge. Strong rucking and well timed cover from the backs, particularly Mead, frustrated the home team as their possession failed to return dividends. Against the run of play Lowe punctured the line incisively laying the ball off to Hubble who cut loose for a superb counter try which Harris converted.
Ivybridge piled on the pressure, pinning Sidmouth in their half for a sustained period but resolute forward play held fast. Eventually a well worked move out to the left wing and deft hands delivered a deserved try for Ivybridge. A repeat move in quick succession left the home side three points up at half time.
Sidmouth started the second half well as Mead weaved a path through flailing opposition arms to go over and Harris converted. Tough decisions brought play back to Sidmouth’s rear line twice and an overload eventually produced a further left wing try for Ivybridge (converted). An entertaining period of counter play followed as Sidmouth fought back and were unlucky not to secure a try through Mead and then Woodruff used his football skills to thwart an immediate counter attack from Ivy. Sidmouth looked strong to the end and were unlucky as Perez almost intercepted a ball which Ivybridge moved quickly left on an unbalanced Sidmouth defence to run in and convert. This was a complete team performance from both old and new Sidmouth players.
You may also want to watch:
which all rightly recognised as a truly entertaining game of rugby.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club