Umbrella win is a case of ‘girl power’ and Sidmouth outdoor bowling season ends with another splendid Final Drive
- Credit: Archant
Tuesday was a very sad occasion for Sidmouth bowlers as it heralded the final day of the outdoor season, writes Carol Smith.
It has certainly been a very strange year for everyone. Weather wise its been a wonderful summer, but for us bowlers, it’s been a short season.
Normally we’d play outdoors for a full five months, but, because of the Coronavirus pandemic, this particular outdoor campaign ran for three short months.
That said, for those members that joined for the short season, they certainly enjoyed themselves.
The final action that brought the curtain down on the season was the ‘Final Drive’.
You may also want to watch:
It was once again organised by David ‘Tiger’ Timms and John ‘Mentor’ Mason.
The turnout of players was excellent and there were some 40 plus involved.
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Fascinating draw for Sidmouth Rugby Colts
At the conclusion, the winning triples team was the one of Tony Anthony, Liz Boyle and Allan Davies with a great plus score.
The prizes were a little unusual this time; not the normal bottles of wine, but some very healthy bags of apples!
Maybe David thinks we need to be healthier, or perhaps a more likely reason is that he got them at a very reduced rate from a local greengrocer friend?
After the first few weeks of the mixed Umbrella Competition, I mentioned that Janet and Stewart Thomson were both vying for top spot.
Well would you believe it after the final game they both finished on top, well Janet just a little ahead of Stewart.
I think that calls for a one last big call of ‘girl power’!