Unlucky not to beat Teign

Sidmouth entertained Teignmouth in a top of the table clash which was always going to be a close encounter.

Sidmouth entertained Teignmouth in a top of the table clash which was always going to be a close encounter. The home side have only lost one game this season and that was to these opponents. The teams currently lie in first and second place in the league.Sidmouth were forced to do without the services of first team regulars, Sarah Cloke and Lucy Broad, who were both unavailable, but the side were buoyed by the return of Taryn Beuthin who rejoined her team-mates having recovered from a bit of appendix removal.Both teams tried to impose their respective styles of play on each other early on but neither side really took control of the game.The deadlock was finally broken when league leaders Teignmouth were awarded a penalty stroke after a defender inadvertently saved a goal bound shot with the illegal use of a foot. The penalty was converted and Sidmouth were a goal behind.By the half time break, Teignmouth had increased their advantage to two goals after Sidmouth players had taken cover when a ball was dangerously lifted in the 'D', but much to everyone's amazement, the game continued and a Teignmouth forward slotted the ball the home.With the half-time whistle came Sidmouth's chance to reorganise and coach Scott Rowson used his vast experience to instill some energy and positive attitude in the team with a morale-boosting team talk that set Sidmouth up for a battling second half.Cheered on by the largest crowd of the season, Sidmouth set about Teignmouth with renewed vigour and the supporters did not have long to wait before the side were back in the game. Sara Roberts continued her rich vein of goal-scoring form, getting on the end of a Beuthin shot and skilfully deflecting the ball in the back of the net whilst at full stretch.With Sidmouth continuing to push forward in search of the equaliser, at the back the defence were doing some sterling work of their own to keep the normally prolific Teignmouth strike force at bay.With 10 minutes remaining, Sidmouth got the goal their pressure deserved when Captain Lea Pidgeon played a one two with Beuthin on the edge of the area and scored.Sidmouth continued to go in search of a winner and Karen Cann and Vicki Tarr worked tirelessly winning the ball back and setting the forwards going.Unfortunately, it was not to be and, after a couple of disputed decisions, Teignmouth found themselves awarded a penalty corner that none of their players thought they deserved but were happy to take advantage of. They scored the decisive goal in the dying minutes, despite the best efforts of Delasalle, who made two top drawer saves before the third shot went in. Sidmouth can take heart from the fact that the only team to beat them so far are the league leaders and, with a bit more luck, the result could have been reversed.The team have to be commended for another great all-round performance in what has been one of the most successful seasons for some time. The squad of 16 players have all played their part but, with silverware probably out of reach, the side must now fight to the end of the season to try and secure second place in the league.l This weekend the side have two games - Saturday 10.30am v Paignton and Sunday 2pm v Newquay, both at Sidmouth College.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus