Ups and downs for Tipton

Wellington 3, Tipton St John 0

Tipton’s trip to Wellington proved to be a very tough day at the office, and they faced the first half on a very heavy, muddy pitch playing up a very steep slope, but came closest to opening the scoring, when a fine header by Jake Freeman from a free kick crashed back off the crossbar when he had the keeper well beaten after just five minutes, writes Richard Williams

Dale Strawbridge, the Tipton keeper, made a fine save from a free kick after 12 minutes but was unable to do anything five minutes later when a Wellington player broke through following a defensive mix up. He did well to stop the initial one-on-one effort but the striker got to the rebound first and tapped it home. Adam Connett shot wide with an effort from a very narrow angle on 23 minutes and a couple of minutes later Tipton were unlucky to lose Jody Freeman who clashed heads with an opponent but came off worse with his left eye closing immediately with a bump the size of an egg above it. On 38 minutes Glen Salter lobbed the keeper skilfully only to see his effort go inches wide.

Tipton were playing down the slope in the second half and tried really hard to break down a well organised Wellington defence and in doing so left themselves open to the counter attack for which they paid the price with two breakaway goals. Between those two goals Neil Gooding and Ashley Small had shots saved and Tipton can count themselves unlucky.

to lose by a three goal margin as it did not reflect on their efforts. Man of the Match for Tipton was centre back James Gosney. Tipton are away to Beacon knights on Saturday. Kick off 2.15PM

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus