Veteran runner Newton on charity mission
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
You could be forgiven for thinking that running is a young man’s game but Axe Valley Runner, Graham Newton is proving that wrong.
Graham, at the grand old age of 66, has managed to gain much-coveted ‘Good for Age’ places in the London Marathon and the New York Marathon.
To achieve this he had to prove that he could run a marathon in under 3 hours and 45 minutes.
Graham did this comfortably by running the Dublin Marathon last October in 3.23.16, and again this month in Barcelona in 3.19:27.
Graham didn’t take up running until he was 60 years old.
You may also want to watch:
Not content with half measures he first decided to tackle the fearsome Grizzly run, and from that moment he was hooked on running.
Since then he has competed in many marathons all over the world from the USA to Australia.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
Realising how lucky he is to be fit enough to follow his dream, he would now like to help others less fortunate to achieve theirs.
This year, through the Starlight charity he hopes to be able to raise enough money to help a terminally ill child to make their dream come true.
If you would like to sponsor Graham you can do so by logging on to http:uk.virginmoneygiving.comGrahamNewton1