Victory for the Sidmouth ladies in traditional opener to new indoor season
- Credit: Archant
Well, sadly, the outdoor greens are now closed so that our greenkeeper Barry can give them some ‘tender loving care’ ready for it all to begin again next April, writes Carol Smith.
He will be cutting, topdressing, deep tyning, rolling and anything else that is needed to bring it back to perfection as it was this season.
It all, of course, does mean that we are now back indoors and on our opening day had three sessions with a full complement of players.
That was followed by the annual ladies versus gentlemen fixture, which was played over two sessions on the same day and both scores were added together to determine a winner.
Well, ladies! Yes, we did it again! It really must be that ‘gentle touch’ that makes the difference with indoor bowling!
You may also want to watch:
Last year the ladies’ success was achieved with a score of plus 19 after winning on five of the six rinks.
This year it was even better as we won with plus 21.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 9 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
In the early session all three ladies’ rinks won with a total score of 55 shots to 36.
The top rink proved to be the one of Lorna Lever, Chris Radburn, Paddy Chew and skip Rita Daw, who won 19-9.
The afternoon session did see one ladies’ rink beaten, but, with an overall afternoon score of 70-68, it was still honours to the ladies.
Ooops, must not gloat about this – well, only in fun eh fellahs!
In the second session, the top ladies’ rink was the one of Jean Brimson, Pat Harvie, Jill Mison and skip Chris Hamer, who won 28-23.
A great start to the season then ladies – keep it up!