Vikings disappoint in North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town’s South West Peninsula League Eastern Division season came to a disappointing end as they went down 5-1 at Torridgeside on the last day of the league campaign.
The home side, clearly boosted by some players with higher status experience – they had Barnstaple Town’s Shaun Copp in their ranks – looked a powerful proposition from the first whistle and it was somewhat against the run of play that the Vikings took a 10th minute lead.
The goal was created – and scored – by Ollie Binnion who worked his way down the right wing before beating the last man and pacing the ball expertly beyond the rooted home custodian.
Once ahead Town grew into the contest, but they were masters of their own downfall when a 25th minute Torridgeside corner flew straight into the goal through Rory Paine!
Cameron Vere went close at the other before Sidmouth conceded another soft goal just a minute before the break when Copp fired a wind-assisted corner that flew into the net to give the hosts a narrow half-time advantage.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, with the wind behind them, Town were afforded the chance to come all with all guns blazing and put the hosts under pressure.
However, it was not to be and the Vikings instead seemed to lack the required determination and quality to worry the home side who clearly sensed Sidmouth were having an off day!
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 6 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 10 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
Further goals from Copp, George Nancekivell and Marc Bettiss sent the Vikings packing and with a long trip home to reflect on a dismal away performance.
Sidmouth: Lines, Farrington (c), Newbery, Pointing, Skilton, Wellman, Gould, Holding, Binion, Vere, Antat. Used Subs: Harwood and Bowditch.
Star man – Glenn Gould.