Vikings so close to points; Reserves beat Honiton

Sidmouth Town 2 Crediton Utd 3

Sidmouth started the game brightly, matching Crediton in possession of the ball with both sides creating chances in the opening stages. They romped into a 2-0 lead, but left it too late in the second half to chase more goals, Crediton having levelled and taken the lead, writes Jason Stiling.

Sidmouth opened the scoring in the 15th minute when in-form striker Andrew Thomson latched on to a bouncing ball on the edge of the area and fired it into the top corner. Thomson was at it again five minutes later when he stepped past a defender and struck another left footed shot into the roof of the net.

Crediton always looked dangerous going forward and scored from an acute angle on the half hour after some sloppy defending.

Crediton then earned themselves a penalty five minutes later when Adam Whittey handled in the area. Luke Ashford pulled off a fine save from the resulting kick to keep Sidmouth ahead.

You may also want to watch:

The away side kept the pressure on and equalised before half time to go in level at the break.

The second half saw Crediton take control of the game with Sidmouth unable to keep possession of the ball.

Most Read

The home side failed to clear their lines 10 minutes in and Crediton capitalised, going ahead for the first time in the game. Sidmouth didn't respond until the last 10 minutes of the game when they created a few chances to get something out of the game, but, unfortunately, the final ball often lacked quality.

Sidmouth have now won four and lost four in the league and are currently sitting in the middle of the table.

?This Saturday, the Vikings take on Axminster in the Devon Premier Cup at Manstone Lane. Kick off 2pm. With Axminster having earned their first point of the season last weekend, it will provide a good chance for the Vikings to boost their confidence before a return to league action.

•Sidmouth Reserves won their local derby at Honiton by 4-2 in a good all round performance that left manager Nick Ogden wondering how Honiton managed to stay in touch with his team.

They dominated from the first whistle and Chris Duchenski put them ahead midway through the first half. They were well on top and looking like running away with it when the ref inexplicably gave the hosts a penalty,

Jack Burgess saved the kick and not long after the Vikings were two up from another Duchenski goal and thanks to the Honiton keeper thats how it was at half time.Credit to the home side they came out looking more eager than Sidmouth and on the hour they got a goal back.

This woke Sidmouth up and an Anthony Griffiths goal followed by a lovely chipped volley from Jules Hudson had them comfortably leading 4-1. Unfortunately, Honiton got a second with three minutes remaining but it wasn’t enough to stop the points returning to Sidmouth.

Manager Ogden said: “ That was a weird game. We controlled it from the start yet we were never really out of sight. We had possibly our best team of the season to date out and it was a good mix of old and young.We created loads of chances and if their keeper hadn’t been on his game we could have had eight easily. I do however feel we need to become a bit more ugly and ruthless, we are too nice at times, but four goals away and three points will do nicely, Greg Chaplin just shaded the Man of the Match for me, I really think he’s going to become very important player for this club”.

Next up is a cup tie at Ashburton.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus