Visit from DCLIBA
Ron Cook played, and won, his first round of the National Over-60s singles, entertaining John Gayton, from Kingsley, at Sidmouth. After a very exciting and hard-fought match, Ron came out the winner by 21-15. Well done, Ron, write Sue and Peter Mison.
In the draw for the County Pairs this year, two Sidmouth pairs were drawn against each other and Pat Pritchard and Jill Bishop battled it out with Jean Brimson and Eileen Hewett in an exciting game. Excellent bowls were played but the final result was 22-9 to Pat and Jill in a well-deserved victory. What a shame that two of the club’s best pairs should be drawn against each other in the first round.
?The same day, Sidmouth men played Honiton in the next round of the County Trophy Over-60s League. Always a keenly-contested match with local rivals, Honiton got the better on this occasion, winning on all four rinks with an overall score of 76-61.
?The Foxlands teams played their second match in Division One against Torquay United. This was a hard game but Sidmouth gained two points with the home team of Marian Watson, Zena Johnson, Phyll Nobbs and Dreda Taylor having an excellent game, winning on their rink by 11 shots.
?Taunton Vivary brought three mixed teams to Sidmouth on Saturday, winning against us on two rinks.
You may also want to watch:
However, Sidmouth won overall by 60-47 due to a good performance by the winning rink of Chrissy Wells, Ralph Brooks, Jane Painter and Ed Backhouse who won by 35-14. Well done.
?The Ladies Singles Championships started on Sunday with the first five matches being played. Well done to Jill Bishop, Jean Brimson, Pam Greenaway, Jan Jameson-Bates, Zena Johnson, Chris Radburn and Dreda Taylor who go through to the next round.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
?On Monday, the County President Ann Paxton brought her DCLIBA Patrons over with teams from Budleigh, Madeira and Torbay. After a friendly and enjoyable game, Sidmouth won by 6-44.
Well done to the two winning rinks of Pat Pritchard, Pat Harvie, Sheila Burnand and Sheila Lewis with a score of 24-8 and Jean Brimson, Paddy Wrench, Beryl Sparkes and Jill Bishop with a score of 28- 14. After the match the ladies sat down to a delicious lunch provided by Chris Radburn and her team.