Walker knock guides Ottery St Mary Under-13s into next round of ECB Cup
- Credit: Archant
Ottery Under-13s made it through to the third round the ECB cup with a nail biting last over win against a spirited Budleigh Salterton side.
After winning the toss, Budleigh batted first and made 94-5 in their 20 overs, largely thanks to an unbeaten (retired) 30 from opener Sammy Pratt.
They made slow, but steady, progress faced with some disciplined Ottery bowling, particularly from two of the younger lads who came into the side, Ollie Glanville (1-17) and Lewis Morgan (0-6).
Ben Lawler (1-17), Max Mayor (0-11), Ollie Brealy (0-7), Matt Jeacock (1-20) and James Tyler (1-7) helped keep the score below 100.
In reply, Ottery had an opportunity to give three boys a chance higher in the order and Reuben Heal (2), Sachin Coppell (8) and Ollie Brealy (14) gained some valuable time in the middle as they set off on the run chase.
You may also want to watch:
The experience of the middle order, notably Lawrence Walker ( 31 retired), helped manage the run chase sensibly, although with plenty of wickets in hand it was perhaps a little closer than Ottery would have liked!
Ben Lawler (4 not out) and a couple of lusty blows from skipper Max Mayor (13 not out) saw Ottery win with 2 balls to spare.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
A great game played in an excellent spirit by both teams and although defeated there were many positives for a Budleigh team playing their first match of the season.
Ottery will now be at home to either Exeter or Bradninch in the next round.
Scores: Budleigh Salterton 94-5, Ottery 98-3. Ottery win by 7 wkts.