Walker takes charge of Fishermen for another season
- Credit: Archant
After a fruitless search during the close season for a new manager, Beer Albion have re-appointed Richard Walker as player-manager for the forthcoming season in the Macron Devon and Exeter Premier Division, writes Richard Honnor.
Walker who played professionally for Aston Villa, Blackpool and Bristol Rovers has been at the helm for the last two years and the club are delighted that he has offered his services once again.
He will continue to play and will be assisted on the bench by chairman John Moughton who successfully managed Beer Reserves some years ago.
Walker said that he is very happy to continue in the role knowing that he will have solid, reliable support on the bench in particular to handle all the ancillary duties that so often fall unfairly on the manager’s shoulders.
Walker said: “Training sessions began a couple of weeks ago and attendance was very good. I was also pleased to see several new faces at the sessions and this bodes well for the new season.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Paul Langham has been appointed Beer Reserves team manager for the new campaign in Division Five of the Macron Devon and Exeter League. Paul played for the Fishermen’s second team last year and he will be assisted this time by Tom Neale another 2nd team stalwart.
Chairman, and new first team assistant Moughton said that he was delighted with the appointments.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
He said: “Things look very bright for the new season” he added.
Training takes place every Tuesday and Thursday at Beer’s ground, The Furzebrake, Stovar Long Lane.
The sessions start at 6.30pm and any new players will be warmly welcomed.