Walls serves up four hoop break to bag Sidmouth success in Cornwall
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth travelled to Cornwall in the South West Federation Croquet League in cold and windy conditions but brought back a hard fought victory.
In the morning Colin Walls and Ian Friedlander won their doubles match and Peter Nelson won an authoritative game, pegging out while his opponent had only scored four hoops.
Having lost their other singles game Sidmouth needed to win two of the four singles in the afternoon to keep their lead.
Peter Hills and Ian Friedlander struggled against in-form opponents leaving it up to the other two team members.
Peter Nelson pulled off an audacious comeback from a deficit of 22 hoops, running two superb breaks to the peg to steal the game.
You may also want to watch:
In the last game Colin Walls found form just ten minutes from time and his four hoop break was enough to win the game and the match.
The home side were superb hosts and, as always, provided an excellent tea.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
The Sidmouth team’s only regret was having to leave some wonderful cakes on the table.