Warriors sparkle in warm-up game with Cooke serving up a sweet strike.
The Under-12 Sidmouth Warriors played their only preseason friendly, donning their brand new kits kindly sponsored by TruHomes, for a meeting with last seasons Champions and Cup Winners Pinhoe Spears, writes Simon Jones.
The first half was a very even contest, with Silk and Gosse going close early on for the Warriors. A fierce free kick from Pinhoe was well handled in goal by Ollie Perez. Hayman went close before a breakaway goal saw Pinhoe take the lead. Try as they might for the equaliser the half time whistle blew with the Warriors 1-0 down.
Early in the second half Pinhoe scored again a header from a corner. Silk, Tremlett and Elliot Perez all then went close before Pinhoe made it 3-0.
Twenty minutes left and 3 down would see many teams fold, not Sidmouth Warriors, when a Perez cross was volleyed from 20 yards into the net by Ben Gosse every member of the Warriors team started believing. With Mead, Woodruff and Jones strong in defence and Lowe and Gosse winning the midfield battles, this allowed Silk to run at the Pinhoe defence. From one of his runs Tom Cooke struck a sweet shot into the corner of the net to make it 2-3. Then some neat passing between Tremlett, Lowe and Perez let Hayman in to equalise. The final whistle sounded with the Warriors trying for the winner!
The season starts next week and on this performance the Warriors should take plenty of belief with them.
You may also want to watch:
Team; Leon Sinker, Ollie Perez, Toby DeGrouchy, Kade Hayman, Matt Jones, Tom Woodruff, Ethan Mead, Joe Lowe , Jack Silk, Luke Tremlett, Ben Gosse, Elliot Perez, Tom Cooke, Alex Thomas and Joe Buckland.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways