Warriors sparkle in warm-up game with Cooke serving up a sweet strike.
The Under-12 Sidmouth Warriors played their only preseason friendly, donning their brand new kits kindly sponsored by TruHomes, for a meeting with last seasons Champions and Cup Winners Pinhoe Spears, writes Simon Jones.
The first half was a very even contest, with Silk and Gosse going close early on for the Warriors. A fierce free kick from Pinhoe was well handled in goal by Ollie Perez. Hayman went close before a breakaway goal saw Pinhoe take the lead. Try as they might for the equaliser the half time whistle blew with the Warriors 1-0 down.
Early in the second half Pinhoe scored again a header from a corner. Silk, Tremlett and Elliot Perez all then went close before Pinhoe made it 3-0.
Twenty minutes left and 3 down would see many teams fold, not Sidmouth Warriors, when a Perez cross was volleyed from 20 yards into the net by Ben Gosse every member of the Warriors team started believing. With Mead, Woodruff and Jones strong in defence and Lowe and Gosse winning the midfield battles, this allowed Silk to run at the Pinhoe defence. From one of his runs Tom Cooke struck a sweet shot into the corner of the net to make it 2-3. Then some neat passing between Tremlett, Lowe and Perez let Hayman in to equalise. The final whistle sounded with the Warriors trying for the winner!
The season starts next week and on this performance the Warriors should take plenty of belief with them.
You may also want to watch:
Team; Leon Sinker, Ollie Perez, Toby DeGrouchy, Kade Hayman, Matt Jones, Tom Woodruff, Ethan Mead, Joe Lowe , Jack Silk, Luke Tremlett, Ben Gosse, Elliot Perez, Tom Cooke, Alex Thomas and Joe Buckland.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers