Warriors top U10's league

Sidmouth Town JV Warriors u10s beat Thorverton 1-0 away to finish top of the league, writes Jo Newbery.

Sidmouth Town JV Warriors u10s beat Thorverton 1-0 away to finish top of the league, writes Jo Newbery. Sidmouth went into this game knowing a win would see them finish top. They started brightly, with Ben Miller and Joe Miller combining well and Ollie Jarrett just missing an early finish. Harvey Sargent had a shot from the half way line just go over the bar. Alex Stone was also close but they finally got the breakthrough when a long throw from Jamie Newbery found Jacob Rowe and he controlled and then smashed it into the bottom corner. The second half saw the Sidmouth fans expecting more of the same, but they dropped deeper and invited Thorverton to attack. Every time Sidmouth cleared the ball it kept coming back, but fortunately Thors didn't have their shooting boots on and couldn't find the target. Finlay Marks, in goal, didn't have a real save to make and Sidmouth achieved their objective and won the game 1-0.The following match against Exwick which Sidmouth Town JV Warriors U10s won 1-0 was rather an anti-climax, writes Jo Newbery.Sidmouth rested defenders and found themselves on the back foot. Excellent goal keeping from Joe Miller, who made at least four top class saves, kept Sidmouth in the game. It wasn't until after half time that Sidmouth started to fight back. Connor Murphy just shot wide and Ollie Jarrett forced the keeper to make a fine save. Jamie Newbery's long throw had the opposition in trouble and the ball glanced off a defender to put the Warriors 1-0 up. Jacob Rowe showed his excellent ball skills and was unlucky with the finish. Final score was 1-0.A brilliant season's football by the whole squad of nine players has seen them top the league and earn a cup final appearance in a fortnight's time: Ben and Joe Miller, Ollie Jarrett, Jacob Rowe, Harvey Sargent, Jamie Newbery, Alex Stone, Connor Murphy, Finlay Marks.Sidmouth Town JV u14s went into half time 2-2 with Central Red Star after a slow start, writes Scott Newbery. Sidmouth started slowly and were two goals down in the opening 10 minutes but started to get back into the game and Ollie Tollerfield shot just wide and then scored two as Sidmouth went into half time at 2-2. The second half saw Sidmouth score through Eoin Ross, but Central hit back from a good free kick to level it at 3-3. Joe Nield then put Sidmouth 4-3 up, but again Central levelled. With 10 minutes to go, a good strike from outside the area by James Beckenham flew into the top corner for a 5-4 win. Man of the Match was Connor Male for going in goal as no-one wanted to.St Martins u14s beat Sidmouth Town JV U14s 1-0, despite Sidmouth passing the ball around well on a good, even pitch, writes Scott Newbery.Sidmouth defended well and when they broke away, Ollie Tollerfield was unlucky when his shot came back off the post. In the second half, a mix up in defence resulted in St Martin's taking the lead. Eoin Ross and Joe Nield played well as they tried to get Sidmouth back into the game, but St Martin's defended hard and held out to win 1-0 but Sidmouth were unlucky not to get a result. STJV Warriors U9s beat Beacon Knights 4-0, writes Mark Pugsley. On a warm, sunny morning the Warriors began the match with pace and quickly pinned the Knights back into their own half, where they remained for most of the match. Sidmouth's defence of Kade Hayman, Matt Jones and Tobi Pugsley were rarely troubled. A good move from Tom Woodruff set up Ethan Mead to open the score sheet. A cross from George Harris was not cleared and a goalmouth scramble was tucked in by Joe Buckland. In the second half, a great tackle from Joe Lowe released George to hit an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net. Constant chasing by striker Ben Gosse paid off and he slotted in a shot to finish off the game. Well done boys. In their second match the Warriors U9s came up against a much stronger Crediton team and conceded a very early goal. With strong challenges flying in, Joe Lowe and Kade Hayman were in their element and a bad challenge on Ethan Mead resulted in a penalty which George Harris converted. Sidmouth started well in the second half and pushed Crediton back into their own half. Endless running from Joe Lowe caused problems for Crediton and Ethan capitalised, putting Sidmouth ahead. This was followed by a shot from Joe Buckland was saved skilfully. Crediton broke through and shot, which, unfortunately bobbled over Tobi Pugsley's foot to even the score at 2-2. Following lengthy injury time, Crediton had one last chance and, despite frantic defending from all the Warriors, Crediton were able to score and win the match. Great battling boys. You didn't deserve to lose this one. Crediton Saints beat Sidmouth Town JV Raiders U9s 6-1, writes Philip Vellender.The Raiders played well in the first half, putting some great passages of play together. Toby Gilbody was solid in goal, giving defenders Jack Rowland and Gabriel Stamp the confidence to push forward. Jack Gibson and Adam Harris worked hard in midfield, creating chances for Scott Hughes and Reuben Raffell up front. Crediton scored first but Raiders Jack Rowland headed a clearance to the feet of Adam Harris who slid the ball through the opposing defence for Reuben Raffell to score. Crediton scored again to lead 2-1 at half time. After the break, a lack of concentration in defensive positions allowed Crediton to score four more times. Sidmouth Town JV Raiders U9s took the positives from the previous match to beat Beacon Knights 3-2, writes Philip Vellender.They created a number of chances and deservedly took the lead when Adam Harris took a short corner to Reuben Raffell. An exchange of passes between the two got Reuben into position just outside the penalty area where he struck a lovely shot across the keeper. Shortly after this, a great piece of individual play saw Raffell double the Raiders' advantage. After the break, the Beacon Knights managed to level but, a rare occurrence in a junior football game, Beacon Knights got a player sent off for repeatedly kicking out at the Raiders' players. Sidmouth took advantage of the extra man and scored again through Scott Hughes. Team: Drew Birkhead, Jack Gibson, Toby Gilbody, Adam Harris, Scott Hughes, Jordan Parsons, Jack Rowland, Reuben Raffell, Gabriel Stamp, Joe Tweedy.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus