Watson takes honours in latest Sidmouth Jewellers meeting
- Credit: Archant
The eighth round of the Sidmouth Jewellers Friday night league, was won by Ian Watson with a remarkable score of 45 points, by far the best score this year, writes John Barnard.
He was steady on the front nine, but then four pars over the last six holes with his high handicap saw him race away and receive a four shot handicap reduction to 22.
In second place with a great score as well was Guy Davis. His 43 points would normally be enough to win easily. Guy played the back nine in level gross, so eight shots better than his handicap suggests.
He will struggle to score so well from now on though as his handicap was reduced from 16 to 13 and then, under CONGU rules, he received an additional two shot reduction bringing him down to 11 which will need some getting used to!.
Steve Milton was a little unlucky in third place. He was playing with club captain John Barnard and chair of competitions Lester Willmington.
You may also want to watch:
Lester arrived on the first tee in good time but without his clubs which were still in his garage in Exeter (so he borrowed a set). His playing partners didn’t stop laughing until the third hole and the distractions of constant references of ‘don’t forget your clubs Lester’ may have cost them both a couple of shots as they ended up third and fourth on the day!
Lee Wenham has joined Mark Thomas at the top of the Friday night league with Craig Melluish only one point behind.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98