Wellmann impresses as Town Under-14s warm up for County Cup final with slick show
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town 5, Alphington 2 Town Under-14s were good value for an emphatic win over cup semi-finalists Alphington.
Town began well with Tyler Wellman in the thick of the early action, but it was from a Jamie Newbery free kick that Jonny Dunn got in front of his marker to head the ball home to open the scoring.
Further enterprise followed involving Joe Miller and Ed Doble who combined to release Wellman who fired home into the bottom corner.
The visitors rallied, but were denied time and space by some good all-round defending from Fin Marks, Al Forsyth, Alex Stone and Newbery.
Just before the break the Alphas halved the deficit via their fleet-footed winger.
You may also want to watch:
The Exeter-based side began the second period strongly and duly levelled things up at 2-2.
Will Down made some fine stops whilst a last ditch tackle from Newbery prevented Alphington taking the lead.
- 1 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 6 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 7 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
A long ball out of defence caught the Alphas defender and keeper in two minds and an alert Joe Miller took advantage to restore the home lead.
The goal settled the hosts who began to play some terrific football. Jack DeWinton extended the lead before Freddie King put a polished seal on proceedings with his team’s fifth and final goal.
This performance comes at a great time given the team’s appearance in the Devon County Under-14 cup final next midweek.