West Hills Wasps force floodgates to open

Sidmouth Town JV U13s came back into the league full of confidence after the epic battle in the Devon Cup the previous week and beat Tedburn St Mary U13s 9-2, writes Rex Harrison.

Sidmouth Town JV U13s came back into the league full of confidence after the epic battle in the Devon Cup the previous week and beat Tedburn St Mary U13s 9-2, writes Rex Harrison.

Playing 10-a-side due to half term holidays, this turned out to be a fast flowing match. Within the first five minutes, Callum Bray was fed an excellent ball from Junior O'Brien and slotted home. The first half good first time passing from the back four up to the front and, by half time, Sidmouth were 5-0 ahead with a hat-trick for Matt Tipton and another for Callum Bray.

The second half saw Bray claim his hat-trick with a lovely chipped shot. Daley Denning, Chris Willows, Dan Chowdry (Man of the Match) Dan Powell and Jamie Briggs supplied great ball resulting in Bray and Tipton grabbing another goal each. With 20 minutes to go Powell was bought down in the penalty area and converted from the spot - 9-0.

With such a lead the Vikings took their foot off the pedal and allowed Tedburn back into the game, who managed to sneak a couple in before the final whistle - 9-2. It could have been more if it wasn't for some excellent defending from Chris Newman and goalkeeping from Jake Harrison. This team are really playing well and are a joy to watch.

You may also want to watch:

An utterly dominant performance from a rapidly improving West Hill WASPS U11s saw them blow Central Utd apart 6-0, writes Tony Badcott.

Without ever clicking into top gear, the Wasps missed a hatful of chances, going in at the break only leading by a solitary Charlie King strike.

Most Read

Sammy Blackmore got the second goal of the game midway through the second half when his powerful strike was too much for the over worked Central goalkeeper.

The flood gates opened when a surging run from Tom Badcott took him past four Central players before crossing for Charlie King to head into the top corner for 3-0. Three more goals followed in quick succession as first Sammy Blackmore and then Charlie King plundered individual hat-tricks, profiting from the team play of Tom Badcott, Will Light and Elliot Culling. A good team performance and some excellent refereeing in what were difficult conditions to play football.

It was well worth standing in the downpour to watch the good football that was produced by Sidmouth Town JV U12s Raiders who beat Hemyock 3-0, writes Cath Sage.

The morning started with heavy rain and both teams were surprised that the game went ahead. The first goal was scored by Dan Swain, who tapped the ball in after a fumble in the goal mouth.

The ball was under the Raiders' control for the majority of the first half with Josh Worthington lobbing the keeper from at least 20 yards out.

The second half started with Hemyock battling well. Josh Edwards and Lewis Masters were unlucky not to get their names on the score sheet but Swain made it 3-0 by coming through from midfield to score. It was again hard this week for the parents to pick their Man of the Match but the honour was shared by Brett Lines and Matt Saunders, both of whom had an excellent game. Credit has all the boys who are really starting to come together to make a great team.

Playing at home on the Newton Poppleford ground, Sidmouth Town JV U10s Raiders met strong opposition in Dawlish, writes Chris Woodruff.

After a steady start, Dawlish progressively began to assert themselves, calling for brave keeping from Hunt and defending from Tweedy and Gilbody. Despite strong running from Birkhead, Scott and Raffell the relentless pressure eventually saw Dawlish breach the Raiders defence, after which their confidence rose and they steadily opened up their lead, running out 8-0 victors.

A closer contest followed against St Martin's, during which the Raiders were unlucky not to score an early goal following good efforts from Hughes and Harris.

Switching to goal, Gilbody pulled off a number of impressive saves to keep the St Martin's at bay. A high bouncing kick from Raffell helped lift the Raiders, who then showed signs of pushing for a win and their potential to play good passing football. However, St Martins pressed on to the end and ran out victors 5-1.

Raiders squad: Sam Hunt, Joe Tweedy, Toby Gilbody, Drew Birkhead, Adam Harris, Jack Gibson, Scott Hughes, Reuben Raffell, Jordan Parsons.

Sidmouth Town JV U10 Warriors U10s showed their Jekyll and Hyde characteristic which haunted them last season, writes Simon Jones. In the first game they were superb, whereas in the second, they switched off completely until the last five minutes.

Against St Martin's in the first game they played some of the best passing football seen all season. Goalless at half time, the Warriors came out in the second half and scored goals first from Ollie Jarrett and Joe Buckland, then the goal of the game from Ollie Jarrett. Tom Woodruff at the back who passed to Matt Jones who in turn fed Joe Buckland up the wing. His quick cross picked out Ollie Jarrett who smashed the ball home. A deserved fourth goal came from 25 yards out from the pacy Ethan Meade. Four nil didn't flatter the Warriors, it could have been a lot worse for their opponents.

After a result and performance like that, a lot was expected in their second game against Dawlish. However, for 25 minutes, the Warriors failed to get going and found themselves 2-0 down.

A breakaway goal from George Harris woke up the Warriors and for the last five minutes both Harris and Jarrett went very close to getting that equaliser. If only the Warriors could have got going earlier.

Remember boys you need to stay focused for both games, but some fantastic football was thoroughly enjoyed by the parents.

Keeper Tobi Pugsley, deserves a special mention for some superb goalkeeping.

Sidmouth Town Jv U9s Raiders beat Heavitree 3-0 writes Martin Spiller.

The game started well with Thomas Moore scoring in the first minute. Heavitree fought back, but defenders Thomas Burhop and Thomas Blackham were strong.

Moore and Luke Spiller had chances but it wasn't until the second half that Sidmouth scored again, Jacob Rice seeing a gap to make it 2-0.

Heavitree had a penalty which fortunately hit the post. Raiders were strong in defence throughout and, five minutes before time, Moore took the ball up the middle, passed left to Ben Goodier who scored Sid's third goal. Man of the Match was Jacob Rice.

In the second game they lost out 5-4 to Stoke Hill, despite starting the match with determination.

They were soon two goals to the good thanks to Thomas Moore, Stoke Hill responding with their first goal and they levelled just before half time.

Two early strikes in the second half put Stoke Hill 4-2 up. Louis Adey took the ball up the left and passed to George Lowe to make it 4-3. Stoke scored their fifth and, five minutes before time, Jacob Rice dribbled the ball around the Stoke defenders. Man of the Match was Louis Adey.

The STJV?U9s Warriors were back at "Fortress Long Park", the home venue where they were unbeaten throughout the 08/09 season, writes Alex Spalding. Could they keep this amazing run going?

Stoke Hill were up first. Physical and skilful play, especially from the back, saw Stoke Hill control the first five minutes. But the Warriors soon found their stride and were able to win 2-1.

James Emmett and Archie Marchant in defence made every tackle count as, gradually, the midfield trio of William Ashby, Lucas Richardson and Louis Spalding took control, eventually putting Jack Miller through for a superbly poached goal at close range.

Stoke Hill levelled just before half-time. Sidmouth regained the lead through a typically deadly strike by Lucas Richardson, Stoke Hill threatened continually. But the Vikings were more than equal to the task, their bravery and spirit - exemplified by Toby Garrick - counting more to keep the score to 2-1 at full-time.

For the first 15 minutes vs Heavitree the Vikings' heavy legs showed how much they'd put in to the Stoke Hill match, but they recovered to win 5-2.

The half ended 1-2 down, even though it could easily have been 4-2 to Sidmouth, Ben Plowden's visionary goal kicks setting up several incisive attacking moves.

An early second half equaliser from James Emmett, a bullet from 15 yards, settled nerves. In the last five minutes the Vikings ran riot, passing beautifully to create three goals in quick succession from Lucas Richardson, Jack Miller and, after going close several times, an especially deserving Jay Harris. U9s Warriors: William Ashby, James Emmett, Toby Garrick, Jay Harris, Archie Marchant, Jack Miller, Ben Plowden, Lucas Richardson, Louis Spalding

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus