Williams scores on debut
Old Bristonians 1, Sidmouth and Ottery HC Ladies’ 1st XI 1
SOHC Ladies’ 1sts who were second in the league took on league leaders Old Bristonians in Bristol, writes Vicki Russell.
With just two points between them, a win for SOHC would put them top. However, with three regular members of the squad unavailable, this was going to be a tough task.
Having not faced each other before, the two sides both started aggressively, not wanting to give any advantage away. It was clear OB were a class act but SOHC met them on every level and the game was end to end with both teams having chances to take the lead. Hayley Delasalle, in goal for SOHC, made some outstanding saves to keep them in contension. At the other end of the pitch Hannah Watts and Nicky Bishop were all unlucky not to convert goals, Bish’s electric shot creeping just wide and Watts’s denied by the post. This match saw SOHC display some of the best passing moves of the season so far; the whole team linked together beautifully - promising as this is a newly merged club this season.
However, the OB side also showed off both great individual skill and team play and managed to sneak a goal past Delasalle making it 1-0 to the home side.
You may also want to watch:
This saw efforts raised even further by the SOHC side and just into the second half they made their breakthrough. Jess Williams and Anna Bowker stepped up from the 2nd XI squad and impressed everyone with how well they played. Williams scored on her debut, offloading into the corner over the OB keeper. Both sides pushed for the winner while also defending hard. Chloe Munn and Jodie Lane made some crucial interceptions at the back and Sarah Roberts, MollyAdkin and Alice Stafford worked tirelessly to break down the OB forward play.
Player of the Match was shared between Chloe Munn and Vicki Russell with three other team mates also in the running.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
There is a two-week break now for the ladies (half term) but SOHC look forward to their next game with confidence and enthusiasm.