Willmington keeps his cool
With the weather looking a little more like summer, well at least there wasn’t any heavy rain, the Valance Cup was contested at Sidmouth Golf Club last Saturday, writes John Rockey.
With most of the starters deciding to go out in the morning, it was expected that, by the time the afternoon players got on the course, some good scores would already have been logged.
However, in spite of the competition being a Stableford event off full handicap, the scoring throughout the day was not that good and the winner and the places all had to be decided on countbacks.
With 38 points, there was a blanket finish by the top three prize winners, with Greg Willmington just beating off the opposition to win the Valance Cup and with it a handicap reduction to 19.
Second was Nick Bater who just lost out on a countback, and must be cursing his bogey on the final hole, but still managed a handicap reduction to 10.
You may also want to watch:
Even more vexed was Lewis Perry who failed to score on the final hole and thus handed a possible win to Willmington.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby