Willmington keeps his cool
With the weather looking a little more like summer, well at least there wasn’t any heavy rain, the Valance Cup was contested at Sidmouth Golf Club last Saturday, writes John Rockey.
With most of the starters deciding to go out in the morning, it was expected that, by the time the afternoon players got on the course, some good scores would already have been logged.
However, in spite of the competition being a Stableford event off full handicap, the scoring throughout the day was not that good and the winner and the places all had to be decided on countbacks.
With 38 points, there was a blanket finish by the top three prize winners, with Greg Willmington just beating off the opposition to win the Valance Cup and with it a handicap reduction to 19.
Second was Nick Bater who just lost out on a countback, and must be cursing his bogey on the final hole, but still managed a handicap reduction to 10.
You may also want to watch:
Even more vexed was Lewis Perry who failed to score on the final hole and thus handed a possible win to Willmington.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 6 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank