Willmington keeps his cool
With the weather looking a little more like summer, well at least there wasn’t any heavy rain, the Valance Cup was contested at Sidmouth Golf Club last Saturday, writes John Rockey.
With most of the starters deciding to go out in the morning, it was expected that, by the time the afternoon players got on the course, some good scores would already have been logged.
However, in spite of the competition being a Stableford event off full handicap, the scoring throughout the day was not that good and the winner and the places all had to be decided on countbacks.
With 38 points, there was a blanket finish by the top three prize winners, with Greg Willmington just beating off the opposition to win the Valance Cup and with it a handicap reduction to 19.
Second was Nick Bater who just lost out on a countback, and must be cursing his bogey on the final hole, but still managed a handicap reduction to 10.
You may also want to watch:
Even more vexed was Lewis Perry who failed to score on the final hole and thus handed a possible win to Willmington.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'