Yeomans rifles home late free-kick to make it ten from ten for high-flying Otterton.
- Credit: Archant
Otterton 4, Ottery St Mary 3 Otterton made it ten wins from ten games this season and maintained their vice-like grip on top spot in Fresha Division Six with this victory, writes Andy Mitchell.
The Otters opened the scoring when Ben Yeomans swung in a corner for top marksman Kevin Pitt to head home to test the new goal nets!
The visitor’s pulled level from a set piece from a corner. Thereafter Otterton had chances to go in front again and it was no surprise when, from a Yeomans free-kick, a flick by Ryan Mitchell found brother Lee Mitchell to lift the ball over the oncoming keeper to send the hosts into the break with a 2-1 advantage.
In the second half the Otters couldn’t shake off a dogged Ottery side and, just two minutes after the restart parity was restored at 2-2.
Otter substitute Jon Dack slid a through-ball to Simon Tuley who beat a couple of defenders before lashing home to restore the home lead.
You may also want to watch:
Otterton could have sealed the game when Kev Pitt was through, but the brave Ottery keeper saved at his feet getting a bloody nose for his efforts!
Ottery then levelled for the third time before, with five minutes remaining Ben Yeomans slammed a 35-yard free-kick into the net to send another large home support into great celebrations.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
On Saturday the Otters turn their attention to the Devon Intermediate Cup and a home tie against Sampford Peverell (2pm).
Otterton team: L Iddon, L Tweedie, P Thomas, S Trim, B Yeomans, G Williams, S Tuley, L Mitchell, A Rolls, K Pitt, R Mitchell (subs used) J Dack, C Copleston