Youngest Colts team fly high in new league
Sidmouth RFC Colts 19, Paignton RFC Colts 14
The Colts got off to the ideal start in their campaign in Devon’s top league by seeing off Paignton, who had topped their own regional league, writes Jack Colwill.
The visitors’ larger pack took a Sid pack, initially only containing one senior Colt, by surprise. Sidmouth did manage periods of possession in Paignton’s half, but were unable to make anything of them. Paignton capitalised to go a try up. Sidmouth grafted their way back into the game, with fine defensive commitment from Andy Watson and Dale McCabe in particular. Jay Wright also proved a thorn in Paignton’s side. A Paignton yellow card allowed Sid to restore parity on half-time as the forwards drove over the line. The try was converted, and the half ended at 7-7.
The match continued in the same vein in the second half – a tight, physical contest. Sidmouth made the extra man count as Jamie Balloch worked his way over. The game then became less open as both sides worked hard in defence, Damon Morris impressing.
Alex Dunn scored Sid’s third try out wide after a period of sustained pressure. In the closing stages, Sid defended on their own line for a long period, and lost a man to the sin-bin themselves. Paignton eventually pulled a try back, but Sid repelled all attacks thereafter for a well-deserved win.
You may also want to watch:
This victory will boost confidence ahead of tough games to come against the best in Devon and they will know they have now made a statement that they aren’t in this league to make up the numbers. It should also be mentioned that the team that finished the match was entirely junior Colts – this was the youngest Colts team this season.
- 1 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 2 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 3 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 7 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results