Youthful Otters claim comprehensive victory
- Credit: Archant
The short trip to face Exwick 2nd XI last weekend saw an Ottery St Mary 3rd XI containing no less than nine teenagers claim their fourth victory of a very promising season, writes Ian Townsend.
Boosted by a typically brutal innings by skipper and former Devon all-rounder, John Tiereney and several important contributions from a number of promising young batsmen, the visitors posted an excellent total. Seamer Sam Bowyer-Thornton then claimed four wickets as Exwick fell well short of their target.
After the early loss of Jack Ellison (3), the Otters were boosted by a 49 run stand between Dan Jeacock (28) and Frank Hartley before the former was trapped lbw by Dan O’Connell (2-64). Hartley batted solidly and received good support from Albert Southall-Brown (13) and Henry Mutter (23) to take the total to 147 before the big right hander was bowled by Mark Priddle for 49. A rapid 83-run Tierney family stand then put the visitors in the ascendancy as son, Luke (23) provided solid support to father, John who ‘teed off’ in typical fashion to blast an unbeaten 73 from just 32 balls (seven fours and four sixes) as the Otters closed on 256-9.
As Exwick replied, they soon lost Rob Richardson (4), pouched by John Tierney at slip off Sam Brook whose six overs cost just 10 runs. As useful 58-run stand followed between Phil Mackie and Tom Cox before the former was run out for 47 (seven fours).
The home side were in with a shout as they reached 141-4 with 17 overs remaining but after Chris Wilson (15) was bowled by Harry McNamara-Campbell (1-38), the writing was on the wall. Bowyer-Thornton’s terrific spell was rewarded with three late wickets, the medium pacer ending the contest by holding a return catch from O’Connell to finish with 4-27 from 7.1 overs as Exwick closed on 188 all out.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary 3rd XI 256-9 (J Tierney 73*, F Hartley 49, D Jeacock 28, H Mutter 23, L Tierney 23, B McRobbie 2-43, D O’Connell 2-64) Exwick 188 (P Mackie 47, Extras 38, G Strougler 27, S Bowyer-Thornton 4-28). Ottery St Mary (20pts) bt Exwick (8pts) by 68 runs.
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford