A J’s Big Band returns to perform in Sidmouth
Popular big band performs live on Sidmouth stage next week
THE sounds of Glenn Miller and swing music from the late 30’s and 40’s will emanate from Sidmouth’s Manor Pavilion Theatre next week.
Popular A J’s Big Band returns on Friday, March 9, 7.30pm, to offer an evening of top quality swing and jazz.
In 1983 the Devon-based band played the role of the Glenn Miller Orchestra in Little Brown Jug at the Northcott Theatre, Exeter, about the last few weeks of Miller’s life. It was so popular the run was extended.
Now, 28 years later, the 17-piece band is still pulling in the audiences who want to hear a big band live on stage.
You may also want to watch:
Glenn Miller’s compositions, with their unique sound, remain firm favourites.
This year’s concert programme will feature a comprehensive set of these evergreens such as Moonlight Serenade, In the Mood, Little Brown Jug and Perfidia.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
Miller’s popular vocal harmony numbers are not forgotten and the band’s singers will reprise Don’t Sit Under The Apple Tree, Elmers Tune and Chatanooga Choo Choo.
At Last, the late Etta James hit, will feature A.J’s vocalist Paula Mitchell, with her superb range of ballads and up-tempo numbers.
Tickets are �13.50 from the box office: 01395 514413, open Monday to Saturday, 10am to 2pm.