A whole raft of fun events at regatta
- Credit: Archant
Hopes are high for fine weather as Sidmouth Regatta prepares to launch from the seafront this weekend.
A packed programme of events offer something for everyone across the two days, which kick off at 10.30am tomorrow (Saturday) with the first sailing race.
This will be followed by the ever-popular three-legged race for over-18s, which will take in six pubs around the town.
The Beer Luggers will join the 2.30pm sailing races, before junior and adult swimming races at 5pm.
Raft fancy dress judging kicks off at 6pm, followed by the race 30 minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
Committee member Keith Knight said he hopes to see a good turnout for the contest in which hopeful teams take to the seas aboard their homemade vessels.
Exmouth’s new lifeboat will be giving a demonstration at 7.30pm (depending on operational duties), and local favourites The Culprits will be playing at Port Royal.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
The day wraps up with a grand fireworks display at 9.30pm.
Organisers said as the Herald went to press that the fireworks may be set off earlier if predicted bad weather conditions become a reality.
Keith said: “We are hoping for good weather for this coming weekend.
“In all the years I have been involved, I think we have only had one weekend where it was absolutely washed out.
“This will be the 22nd year of the fireworks. The forecast is looking OK at the moment, fingers crossed.”
Sunday opens at 10am with three sailing races which can be viewed from the seafront.
Then it is time for children to take centre stage with the chance to participate in a pavement drawing competition taking place on The Esplanade at 10.30am, followed by fancy dress fun at Port Royal at 11am.
Families can go on the hunt for treasure from the same location at 11.30am, when the gig rowing races will also begin.
Full programmes are available from I Want, I Need, Humbug and Sidmouth Information Centre.
All the events are weather permitting and the times approximate.
There is also a shop window competition and a raffle for a child’s bicycle.
Proceeds from Sidmouth Regatta will boost the town’s branch of the RNLI.
The regatta committee thanked supporters of the weekend.
Any weather-related changes to the schedule will be detailed at www.sidmouthherald.co.uk