African children’s choir in free Ottery concert
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary’s Parish Church will be filled with a ‘soulful fusion of gospel and contemporary African music’ when an East African children’s choir take to the stage this weekend.
Billed as a ‘musical and multimedia presentation’, the Wototo Children’s Choir from Uganda will perform a free concert in the church on Saturday, May 17 at 7pm.
Watoto means ‘The Children’, and through their inspirational songs and compelling stories, the choir is spreading a message of hope for Africa’s children.
Dressed in colourful costume, the children’s enthusiastic song and energetic dance has moved audiences world-wide.
In recent years Watoto Choirs have had the privilege of singing for Her Majesty the Queen at Buckingham Palace, in the Houses of Parliament, the White House in Washington, and also at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in Kampala
You may also want to watch:
Since 1994 Watoto Children’s Choirs have toured internationally as ambassadors for orphan children in Uganda. Over 600 children have enjoyed a once in a lifetime experience; propelling them forward academically, socially, emotionally and spiritually, training and equipping them as future leaders. “Concerts of Hope” inform people of Watoto’s vital work and afford audiences the opportunity to participate in restoring hope and dignity to some of Africa’s most needy children.
Each child in the choir has experienced tremendous personal tragedy, having lost one or both parents in the African AIDS crisis or other calamities.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
The goal of Watoto is to raise the next generation of Ugandan leaders by pursuing excellence in academic and practical skills, integrity in conduct and moral values, so that each child becomes a responsible and productive citizen.