Alan Bennett’s Talking Heads at Exeter’s Northcott
Three women - three lives exposed in blackly comic Talking Heads at Exeter’s Northcott Theatre
THROUGH monologue, the lives of three women are split open in Alan Bennett’s Talking Heads, performed by the Uncommon Players in Exeter next week.
The craftsmanship of Bennett’s writing sensitivity navigates the recognisable ridiculousness found in the mundane and the familiar in this personal and private tour of their lives at Exeter Northcott Theatre from Thursday, February 2 to Tuesday, February 7.
Described as ‘blackly comic’ and ‘poignant’, Talking Heads reveals truths lurking under the surfaces of Britishness.
Devon-based Anthony Richards, director of Uncommon Players has chosen local talents, Janet Hookway, Imogen Smith and Jenny Start to star.
You may also want to watch:
In A Bed Among the Lentils, Susan (Imogen Smith), is a vicar’s wife with a taste for sherry and a corner shop-keeper to alleviate the tedium.
Soldiering On sees Muriel, (Jenny Start), a woman of action, blind to others’ malice, organizing people and events with military precision, including her husband’s funeral.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
A Cream Cracker Under the Settee is the third monologue featuring Janet Hookway as Doris, who is fastidiously clean and defiant about going into a home. Her obsession with cleanliness and tidiness leads to her downfall.
Tickets are �12.50 (�10 concessions) from Northcott’s box office: 01392 493493. Talking Heads then tours to Newton Abbot and Taunton