Author Steve Voake at Sidmouth school
St John’s pupils inspired by children’s author for World Book Day
STUDENTS at Sidmouth’s St John’s School had a treat last week, when Somerset-born children’s author, Steve Voake, spent the day working with both junior and senior pupils.
Steve, who read extracts from his books The Dreamwalker’s Child and The Starlight Conspiracy, spoke of his experience of writing stories and ran creative writing workshops.
He first gave useful advice on writing short stories, and focused on the planning behind a narrative with younger students.
Juniors particularly enjoyed hearing some of Steve’s shorter stories and enjoyed his humorous approach. Many bought signed copies of his books.
You may also want to watch:
In 2003, Steve was head of a primary school in Kilmersdon, Somerset, when a bidding war broke out amongst publishers and film makers for the rights to his first novel, The Dreamwalker’s Child.
The deal he accepted with Faber and Faber convinced him to give up his teaching job and be a full-time writer.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
He has published many critically acclaimed novels all over the world, including The Web of Fire, Insect Detective and Blood Hunters. He is also responsible for the Daisy Dawson and Hooey Higgins series.